3D Hubs Forum

Everyday we make changes and improvements to 3D Hubs website. If you have ideas for improvements or feature requests, this is the place to drop them. Get other people to vote up your ideas to accelerate the focus we give to it.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. multiple locations

I have two printers, one at work and one at home. I would like to list both locations. You should allow a hub to have two locations. This would also work for people who commute, as they could allow pickup of their items in both locations.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Make it possible to post an stl and let hubs bid on printing it

Instead of having to specifically choose which hub you want to print your stl, you should be able to place an open assignment (simply upload stl and define the area you are loaded in...
      Hubs/3d printer owners should be notified when a new assignment is available in their area, and have the possibility of offerering to print it. If more hubs bid on the assignment, the user who uploaded the stl chooses which hub to use

15 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Allow people to create shops. So that they can sell there items much like shapeways

Allow people to create shops. So that they can sell there items much like shapeways. as i design little bits and pieces for rc cars.i would love to be able to share a link to said piece and then if people want to buy it they can.
        they deisgner can put parameters on items, such as if the designer this there part should only be printed in SLS graphite make that the only option etc or only avliable in red?

38 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Admin →
        • allow customers to retract an order while it is still in the "Hub review" stage

I am brand new to 3D printing, and without realizing it I created a model completely unsuitable to FDM printing. I worked this out *after* having submitted it to a hub, but the only way I had to retract the order was to leave a comment to the hub owner on the order -- then he was able to cancel it on my behalf.

This then took me to the page where alternative hubs are suggested based on customer needs. I wanted to find out more information about the suggested hubs, but the only clickable thing I could find was…

10 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Jonathan, thank for sharing your experience and feedback. Makes sense to improve this workflow. In the past we’ve removed a lot of extra clicks and confirmations to make the platform easier to use, this is a side-effect of that which we need to address.

• Allow custom layer heights

The current options of 50, 25, and 10 microns don't apply very well to our machine which has layer heights of 32, 29, and 16 microns. This makes it impossible to distinguish between them without being misleading. I'm sure there are other machines out there that print at layer heights different from the default options and it would be great if you could just type in the height.

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

We currently show all of the material options grouped by resolution in the check-out. Therefore allowing custom layer heights requires us to rework that part of the site. We’re planning to do so, but it means it takes a little while till we get to it.

• Search by printing volume

your search tool is good. However, if customer want to print in big size, it's difficult for them to find a hub provide that service.

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll see if we can add a filter to the advanced options that allows people to search by build volume. Our search does filter printers that are too small automatically but this often results in no printers showing up.

• ShippingEasy integration

Integration with the discount shipping provider www.shippingeasy.com to include the ability to import orders as an effort to simplify and shorten the shipping process.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Jarod, thanks for sharing this idea. We’ll look at integrating API’s in the future, we first want to collect some usage data on the new shipping feature before looking at things like this.

• Warn customers if they're creating a new order instead of updating an existing one

If a customer has an order with a hub, and the order is newer than "hub has accepted it", provide an interruption in the "new order" phase to tell them they have an order already open, and guide them through updating the files there.

I have customers who will accidentally submit a file for printing, I give them some feedback, and they create an entirely new order for the revised file. This tells me that creating a new order is appropriately frictionless, but there should be guidance for them to update an existing order.

5 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Bryan, fair point. We’ll look at notifying customers when they have active orders that aren’t printing yet while submitting another order with the same Hub.

• Customer Ratings

Would it make sense for customers to have ratings including operator reviews for hubs? As an operator, I would love to give feedback on customers ... I would suppose it would work like ebay, where both parties can comment on a print job experience and both the follow through from the customer as well as the hub itself. This protects both the customer and the hub. :)

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Admin →
                    • Multiple curriencies Auto convert currency by the IP or location

Can you add an option to set prices in another currencies? For example in Country local currency, $ and euro or auto convert price to another currency. I would like to enter foreign market but I'm afraid people doesn't know how much value is my local currency. It could be also like a hint how much +- is it in (for example) $

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Kamil, we’ll look into this if we get more requests for it. Right now seems like a fairly rare issue as most people order from nearby countries where they know the currency.

• QuickBooks Integration

Integration with the online accounting software QuickBooks from Intuit. This would enable those of us running a Hub as part of a small business to reconcile transactions with full details and automatically apply the correct account designation such as "sales", "3D Hubs Fees", "Shipping" and "Tax".

As a small business owner, I need to record all of these values for tax filing purposes which are due monthly (sales tax) and quarterly (federal income tax).

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • How to allow CNC machines & Lasers to be treated as printers, to fit them within your current framework

I know there are already 3-4 declined requests for CNC machines and laser-cutters to be added in, but I was thinking quite a few of them could be added within the framework already established. Hub owners would need to provide materials, just like they do with printing, so owners could establish stock materials and stock sizes with prices. The algorithm could then just price based on the smallest stock that's big enough to fit the part.

For CNC you could go one step further and use an approximation value of the % of material that would need to be removed…

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Admin →

Hi Jonathan, thanks for this detailed description. We’re watching this space closely, at this moment I can’t give you any concrete updates or timelines but since CNC and Lasercuting are both digital manufacturing technologies we could potentially see them on 3D Hubs in the future.

• To include an utility for printing material stocks management

This would - for instance - allow printer owners to type in their stocks of each printing material/color pair, and change the amount after using some for a print.
                            Ideally would auto-magically remove near-zero stocks from the printing offers.

Other optional data about materials to store (some might be public data, some only for the hub manager) : provider and/or manufacturer, link to image for colour demonstration purposes, relation between mass (g), volume (cc) and price, some comments to display to people browsing our material printing offers...

17 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Admin →

Hi Guy P,

Great idea. We would love to implement this sooner than later.

Of course Hubs might also print outside of the platform (own use etc.) which might throw of such system, but in general this is something we’re keen to implement.

It would also be great to make sure bigger prints or numbers have enough material to be printed.

Brian

• Add a shrinkage disclaimer when customer uploads a model

I've recently had this issue come up where a customer has a hard time fitting screws or other parts into a printed part. As far as I know virtually every material will have a certain degree of shrinkage. Most customers tend to model to spec, so for insance if they need to fit a 5mm hex nut into their part, they model a space that will fit a 5mm hex nut exactly. When printed, the nut won't fit due to the material shrinking slightly as it cools. It would be nice if there was a disclaimer warning the customer when…

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Business Card Template

Create a business card template so we can (2d color) print and include with the prints!

Right now I put the print in a ziplock bag with one of "myhub" stickers outside and one of the cool stickers that you sent in the bag as a gift.
                                I want to put a business card inside the bag instead.

Maybe you can put together a "merchandising kit" for us to download and print locally or to purchase the items from you.
                                CHEERS!

33 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey,

We’re looking into supporting our Hubs in any way we can. This certainly is something that we feel a lot of Hubs would value.

So stay tuned!
                                  Brian

• Single page order summary or checklist

My hub has been receiving some complex orders with many individual parts and different quantities for each. I have also ended up having more than one of these jobs running concurrently. I have been printing a copy of their order but because there is not a print specific view, an order with many parts and comments can take 12 pages to print. Only printing the customer info and part info can be 3 plus pages just because the website is not formatted for printing.

I suggest that you add an order summary page that only contains the customer details (including…

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Griffin, thanks for sharing this idea, we really like it. We’ll discuss with our developers how feasible it is and if it’s not too much work we’ll add it to the roadmap!

• To allow for multiple startup prices based on material.

Some materials require more preparation of printer than others.
                                    For instance coating your bed with an anti warp mixture, or using a disposable build surface sheet, etc...

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Guy P,

Fair point. We’re planning to allow more freedom when it comes to setting prices and startup fee, this makes sense to add to our plan. It might take some time though, since we’re working on a few big releases right now.

Brian

• Allow materials list to be entered once and shared between printers

I would like to separate the materials list from the printers list. The goal is to be able to have the materials list entered once - or imported from a spreadsheet - and then be able to select with a checkbox or similar operation what printer can do what material. I have a large list of available materials and when I add a new printer I have to duplicate it because my printers all use the same materials. To be able to enter the materials once would save quite a lot of time for me.
                                      Another detail of that idea…

5 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Admin →

Hi Ben,

Seems like a fine idea! We’ll keep this in mind once we re-do the printer interface, as there are more improvements planned for that part of the platform.

Best,
                                        Brian

• Multiple extruder option

This would allow the hubs to say that there printer can print in several different materials or colors in a single print.

19 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll discuss this idea with the product team, I think there are different ways we can tackle this so we have to decide which route to take.

Thanks for sharing,
                                          Brian

• Customer selects service

Allow customer to select service(s) they need in enquiry.

On 3d hubs, customers should be allowed to select between the 3 main services: 3d printing, 3d design, or 3d scanning.

Currently how the site is set up it is a bit confusing to my customers and potential customers on how to go about purchasing my 3d design services only. Sometimes these customers just want a digital file created for them that they can take to a different printer or print on there own printers. Though I currently don't offer scanning services I would image the same thing can occur where…

9 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thanks for sharing. I’ll bring this up with the product team and see how we can improve the flow for ordering modeling or scanning without 3D Printing.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                          • Don't see your idea?

3D Hubs Forum

Feedback and Knowledge Base