I suggest you ...

Rejecting non-functional parts should not count against the hub.

I've had a couple of customers that requested "functional" parts with features that would clearly not be functional. Extremely thin walls, clips, and threads for isntance.

Rejecting these should not count against the hub because printing and shipping parts that we know will not work isn't a good business practice.

49 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fred Baumgartner shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Admin3D Hubs (Founder, 3D Hubs) responded  · 

Thanks for the feedback. we understand the issue.

We’re working hard to increase our printability detection so it will be less of a problem. Furthermore we’re also working on making the hub score less sensitive for individual orders.

However, we’re not planning to remove unprintable orders from the hub score as we can’t automatically identify them with full certainty. Doing so would open up the platform to be gamed by dishonest services, which is something we all don’t want.

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • darren hughes commented  · 

If a hub believes a file is not printable, 3D Hubs should have a mechanism in place for the hub to submit the file up to the "Experts" at 3D Hubs for evaluation.

If the "Experts" at 3D Hubs determine that the file is NOT printable, then the mechanism should allow the "Expert" to waive the file/job from the hubs account so that it does not have a negative impact on their account or if the "Expert" has determined that the hub has made a mistake and the file IS printable, than the mechanism should allow the "Expert" to place a negative mark on the hubs account.

Further actions would be added to each branch of the mechanism, for the IS and is NOT printable determinations. Such as what to do with the file after the determined is made; is the file "sent" back to the original hub or on to the next automatic hub. 3D Hubs can figure out the resulting actions.

• Jared Eldredge commented  · 

In some cases the customer knows their party isn't printable but didn't know how to fix it. I've been working with a customer for a week now, massaging the design to meet their needs.

This doesn't exactly match the intended "print me this widget" flow, but it seems valid to me. I wouldn't want the states to reject unprintable parts; perhaps flashing them as not printable so hubs can engage as a design consultant would be best?

• Masee Khan commented  · 

@Zapaer Alip

24 hours is 3D hubs limit for "responding", not accepting or declining. As soon as you send the customer a response, as 3D hubs recommends, the timer stops. After that you can continue to correspond with the customer for days on the model until you find them okay.

This kind of thing happened to me many many times. Heck, once the customer took almost two months to fix the model. Thanks to the new update, the deadline of printing will now be reset to your days after completion of the payment.

So, just send them a response that there is a problem with the model. This will also give you a chance to show off your designing ability by offering them the option to fix the model (definitely for a charge).

As for the issue, I understand the dilemma of 3D hubs. Once I had a customer whose model was rejected by 3 hubs, saying it was "not printable". Yet I printed the part without any problem what so ever and he has become a regular customer for me.

You see, newby hubs sometimes don't know what they are doing. For that reason, they need to be "punished". That is why order rejecting is a negative thing. Even for experienced hubs, it is not always possible to judge by just looking at the model. But if the possibility of problems are corresponded with the customer to begin with, customers always understand that. Then they decide to with it or not at their own discretion. As far as I am told by 3D hubs, that do not create negative impact on hubs ratings.

• MvM commented  · 

I agree.

Sometimes customers upload parts that are just not designed to be 3D printed. Even if they are not (yet) functional, some parts are clearly designed to be injection molded.
        Usually, I will contact the customer with about the part in question and explain the issue with them.
        Sometimes, they will adjust the files, but also, sometimes, the decision is made that they should have the parts 3D printed but instead look for another solution.

This is something I consider not only good business practice but also a form of honesty to myself and to the customer. I save me time by not spending time, material and money in printing something of which the endresult will not be satisfactory. And for the customer by saving him time and money as well.

• Ryan O commented  · 

@Zapaer Alip

I do agree that their printability checker isn't perfect, but its not hard to check the model out prior to accepting. My response time is less than 30min, yet I have enough time to check all models in my slicer prior.

Also, after 24 hours of not accepting, it isn't automatically declined. Not sure if that was what you were referring to when you brought the 24 hour thing into your last response.

• Zapaer Alip commented  · 

@Ryan O,

Sometimes what happens is that the print passes the printability check that 3D Hubs has built it in. But upon closer human inspection of the design, downloaded and opened on a Simplify3D, it becomes evident that it's not printable or the mesh has some sort of defect.

Now the order has already been accepted, because 3D Hubs encourages a fast response and you only have 24 hours to accept or decline. Additionally, it passed the printability test so you think it should be fine.

Now you have to cancel the order or sometimes the client will upload a new part and requests that you decline. This will result in you getting a lower ranking. So it can become an issue, though not very frequent, it does happen somewhat regularly.

• Ryan O commented  · 

I don't think you are punished for declining an order prior to accepting it. Once accepted, then declined, definitely counts against you. As you said, you can already tell prior to printing it if it just won't work, so don't accept the order.

- I was told by 3dhubs support it only affects your hub if you decline an order after accepting it.

• Rhys Richards commented  · 

Rejecting non-functional parts should not count against the hub, because the hub did not design the part!
        The customer designed the part & right or wrong, should accept there mistake, the customer is aware of design limitations, from 3D HUB's info pages!
        And accepts for us to print there order with errors!!
        A hub should not be penalised for the customers design errors!

Feedback and Knowledge Base