I suggest you ...

Allow visitors to Browse 3D printing services without having to upload a file. (Suggested solution: Example parts files)

This would probably help first-time visitors (such as myself) get a better idea of what the website is all about, as well as what prices to expect. I think this would increase the likelihood of newcomers sticking around. (I'm still not 100% sure I have the right idea of how this website works.)

I stumbled upon this website while making Google searches about 3D printing. While I have previously dabbled in 3D modelling, I have as of yet never made use of any 3D printing services – I'm merely considering doing so at some point. As such, I don't have any suitable files at hand. First-time visitors with suitable files on their computers might still find this website while on another device. (I could probably find a suitable file online with ease, but that's an extra step many people would not be willing to take without first knowing more about the 3D Hubs service.)

Having a small ready-made list of printable parts would not only make it easier to browse services, it would probably also help comparison of different services' prices in a more standardised way. (The list of examples should preferably include something in 1:1 scale that people in general intuitively know the size of, such as a model AAA battery.)

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Johan P shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Callum commented  · 

I like the concept of this idea, however if you do proceed to implementing this idea, please do so in a way where users are not able to submit orders with the test file, else it is likely to lead to a lot of unwanted requests submitted, which would in turn impact the completion ratio of hub (a factor that affects hub position). Or have it so that orders submitted with this file do not count towards hub performance statistics.

• MvM commented  · 

You are putting in slightly different than I would, but I wholeheartedly agree.

In the past, any visitor to 3D Hubs could just select his own area and was able to browse through the available Hubs and see what kind of services and materials they had to offer.
        You could also see examples of what these Hubs had printed in the past and by that, had at least some kind of reference what is and what is not possible with 3D printing.

Since 3D Hubs changed their website to require a file upload first, this option is no longer available.

Feedback and Knowledge Base