I suggest you ...

The man who had - then lost - the first 3D Printing Patent | An American profile

I wanted to reach out to you with a little story about a man from Greenville, SC who I think would make a great blog post or interesting article. He was the man who actually patented the 3D printer first...and then lost it.

To cut a long story short, Bill Masters first conjured up the notion of a 3D printer in the late 70's as he was kayaking and thinking about spit balls (really!). He patented his first design in 1982 (2 years before Chuck Hull, most well known as the Father of 3D Printing), but then lost his patents to some venture capitalists as he wasn't paying enough business attention to what was happening. He didn't even realize he was the first until years later. In a twist of fate, the universe led him to designing the first rotomolded kayak instead, and today he is largely credited for putting whitewater kayaking on the map in N. America. In fact, he's just been inducted into the International White Water Hall of Fame. Today, he's still inventing everything from non-drop honey dispensers to gun cases and is trying to use his story as an educational piece for other young entrepreneurs.

He's still an avid entrepreneur and inventor, with many, many patents to his name. All while living just outside of Greenville, SC and living a very different life than Chuck Hull. His Web site: http://billmasters3d.com/

Let me know if you think he'd make a good fit in some capacity! He's a super interesting guy.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lisa shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bo Herrmannsen commented  · 

i think you posted in a very wrong place

this site is for ideas on how to improve 3dhubs, someone loosing a patent is utterly irelavant

Feedback and Knowledge Base