3D Hubs Forum

Everyday we make changes and improvements to 3D Hubs website. If you have ideas for improvements or feature requests, this is the place to drop them. Get other people to vote up your ideas to accelerate the focus we give to it.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Adding a customizable Optional Pricing Detail in the Printer/Filament description

As an online purchaser, I really hate seeing additional charges at the time of checkout, I'd like to see everything calculated and estimated up front. As of now, the Optional Pricing Detail feature on each print material is limited to Subsequent Prints, Object Volume, Bounding Box Volume and Surface area - none of which I use because these are usually embedded in the First Print Box. I do however charge State sales tax and would like to at least list the percentage (up front, not add after the order has been placed). I'd also like to add (up front) and…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Hey William, thanks for this feedback. This is quite a specific use case which we would love to support but since it’s only for a subset of our users it doesn’t have the highest priority.

You do know we support Sales Tax as a surcharge on the order since late December?

• Reprint option

Under your account you could show the history of your prints and if you wanted to reprint the exact same thing have that option to bring up an old uploaded STL or wtv and find a new hub or use the same hub. STLs are small files so it wouldnt take that much server space, or maybe just like the last 10 prints if space is an issue

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Admin →
      • Hub Procuct Offerings

I design as well as print, I'd like to have folks be able to buy my designed products from my hub, what do you think?

36 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Richard,

Very cool, this has crossed our minds (and brainstorms) a few times in the past. If we want to do this we want to do it well, and it’s a pretty serious chunk of functionality to build so it might take a little while till we can offer it, but it’s on our radar :-)

Best,
          Brian

• Options volume printer

Hello,
          Today I had one element in the valuation, and decided to put it in 3D Hubs to see what the competition offers. My part has a width of 55 cm and no problem can be printed out on my printer ProCoPrint3D / ME. Unfortunately, to my surprise did not see my printer as printable.
          My printer has a field with dimensions (YXZ) 40/45/55 cm so I do not see a problem when printed at an angle of 90 degrees upward or 41 degrees frontally. When I set the object at an angle of 45 degrees and I generated another…

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Christopher,

We take a few percent margin as many hubs don’t like/are not able to print to the full dimensions of their printer. Apparently this leads to some unwanted side effects, we’ll evaluate what we can do about this.

Brian

• Make 3D HUBS a Pooled Printing Platform

3D Hubs website could randomly select a hub to print an item that someone uploads to print. This would even out the amount of prints that a hub receives and increase the number of orders other hubs get. If the user wants to pickup the item then the website would only choose a hub within an area the user defines or if they are okay with the item being shipped then it would choose a hub within their state or country. A user would still be able to manually select the hub if they wanted to. Payment would still go…

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks Martin,

This is what is also referred to as a reverse-marketplace, something we’re not currently offering but it could be of interest for certain specific use cases. Thanks for suggesting we’ll keep it in mind.

Brian

• Addition to the Print Queue list a sortable column showing "Completion Date / Payment Date"

"Completion Date / Payment Date" sort-able column
              Showing both expected completion and payment made dates
              This would help the hub quickly define a schedule to avoid conflicts
              Right now you need to view the order page to view this info

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Admin →
              • translate widgets

Ability to translate a widget by myself: if you cannot right now translate the website in other languages, you can at least allow people to edit the texts of the order widget, so that our customers that do not speak english can actually use it ! Thanks for considering my suggestion.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Admin →

Hey Josselin,

Thanks for sharing that idea, I’ll have a chat with our team who built the widget, however I think that it might take some time before we get around to this, as its somewhat complicated.

Brian

• more materials option for metals and ceramics

Is it possible to increase the materials options for printers, such as metals and ceramics?

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Give Hubs the option to sell Gcode or print profiles. Like $10 if the buyer wants to get the Gcode output.

We sell to many experienced 3d printers. Let us have the option to sell the Gcode/print profile along with the finished print. Then if the customer wanted to print it themselves, they could have the exact profile used on their part. Either make it flat rate or let the hubs set their individual rate.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Aaron,

Interesting idea, we’ll have a talk about it here. If we decide to implement this it probably wont end on top of the backlog :-) For now you could manually charge an additional service fee for the GCode and add it as an attachment to the order right?

• More machines and the ability to upload other file types SVG or AI files.

Does not need to be as complex as the 3D printing system,
                      But it would be nice if it was possible to add laser cutters to the machine list and other custom machines easily, and also support other files like SVG, AI, DFX.
                      The Hubs can provide custom quotes per job, no need for an automated system to begin with.

9 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Admin →
                      • 3dhubs scanner guide

the hubs printer guide is e great tool for beginner and pro..3dScanners are almost symbiotic linked to printers, and a great tool for consumers who print, but not design yet, or for quick prints etc.. wouldn,t it be an great idea to make a 3d scanner guide, based on experience in the hub comunity

greetz alf mayor utrecht for 3dhubs

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Add Thermal color changing as a possible material

There are certain plastics that change color depending what temperature they are and it makes printing easier to see cold spots and they can make fun toys and different contraptions that deal with temperature. It would add to the diversity of printing projects possible and make it easier for smaller hubs to attract more customers.

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Admin →

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your suggestion. Could you be more specific in what kind of plastics you are talking about? Do you have any specific brands that you would like to be added? I need a little more information to add these materials.

Cheers,
                            Mercedes – 3D Hubs

• Embeddable REAL Ordering Widget

Have you considered improving the widget so users can fully embed the entire upload, quote and order process into their own website?

By adding this feature I think you would attract some bigger players in 3D printing by giving them a seamless process but using the 3Dhubs system. Obviously 3dHubs would still get the commission on sales whilst giving users a real tool to use on their own website (rather than just linking to the 3DHubs website like the current widget).

If you would like I could create a mockup screen of my idea.

Thanks,
                            Simon

13 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Simon,

Thanks for the feedback, making the widget embeddable like you mention should be possible also the discount vouchers is something we planned to add to the widget.

If you have any further ideas you can share them here or directly with me brian@3dhubs.com

We’ll keep you posted!
                              Brian

• filament management

Right now when a printer is added, filaments need to be added from scratch. I suggest creating a materials library where all filaments that a hub uses can be added, available colors selected, and price points for low-medium-high affixed. When a new printer is added or modified, all that is needed is quick selection of what filaments and resolutions to apply. Include an option to assign printer-specific values, but have a global default as to what is in the library.

5 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add a Slideshow of Images!

To improve the showcase of our printed designs a slideshow would be great that way the more the the first page can be readily available to be seen by customers.

7 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Simon,

Yes that makes perfect sense. We’ll add it to our roadmap and tackle this as soon as we get around to refreshing the Hub Profile pages.

Thanks for sharing,
                                  Brian

• issue subdomain (ie. myhubname.3dhubs.com) - so people can market in print

When someone opens a 3dhubs site/node, issue them a subdomain name.
                                  example - site name is "My3dprojects"
                                  subdomain - http://my3dprojects.3dhubs.com)

Makes for easy advertising in print form (business cards, logos on car windows, etc...)

7 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Hey Paul, thats a cool idea!
                                    Let me discuss with the team and see if we want to do this and what the time frame would be for getting it in place.

Brian

• Get a mobile app

I realize you guys are pushing the "mobile site" as a be-all-end-all but an app would allow Push notifications, full use of the iOS/Android notification APIs and in general I'd way rather hit a single button on my phone than have to navigate through Safari, go to my bookmarks, pull up the site, then wonder if cookies will work right.

Additionally, iOS users could then apply a touch ID to login. Boom. Expert-level UI/UX for the win. You'd be silly to not be going this direction, honestly.

36 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Josh,

Thanks for the feedback – good stuff! We’re currently reviewing our options for native app support or notification of push messages.

The touch ID idea is pretty rad!

Thanks,
                                      Brian

• Expedited printing service charge/fee addition to user print submission process

Hi. As an operator, I typically get this from customers A LOT.

"Hi Scott, Can you do print between 5pm today for pickup at 2pm tomorrow?"

Can you please add an option to print expedited jobs in the drop down for added services? OR can you please ask customers to specify WHEN they require prints to be done, if they have a deadline ... and then automatically add on the expedited service charge? 3-D Printing is not a one button process, and it requires a lot of labor and time in terms of setup, maintenance, and post processing. You are…

16 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Scott,

Deadlines are now shown on each order by default. The expedited delivery charge or rush delivery is still in the making.

Best,
                                        Brian

• Show active orders in the drop down menu

It would be nice to see all the active orders in the drop down menu so i do not have to go to order site just to switch from one order to another :)

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Allow business hours for hubs

Allow a business hours setting so that the response time doesn't start until the hub is open for business. This will help users know not to expect a response until the hub is open and will save hub operators from 4 AM text messages or emails from the reminders.

75 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)